Unlike Katniss, Day 1 of my own personal 3-day Hunger Games was a relative breeze. Here is a quick update on how it is going so far.
The first day has actually been a lot easier than I expected.
It really wasn’t that hard to not eat food during the day as the only temptation came when people came back to their cubicles with their lunch.
I think the only time my stomach growled was when I could pick up the scent of someone’s MSG-filled Chinese food or coma-inducing Chipotle burrito. Fortunately for me, a bunch of coworkers not participating in the cleanse ordered a bunch of steak for dinner, which had zero appeal to me.
Initially, I was apprehensive that the juices were going to taste disgusting but I was very pleasantly surprised to find they actually don’t taste that bad.
- Juice 1: Green - Romaine, celery, cucumber, apple, spinach, kale, parsley, lemon, ginger. Everything I read / heard was that this one tasted the worst, but I found that the apple flavor dominated the veggies and thought it tasted pretty decent. At least one coworker completely hated this flavor though.
- Juice 2: Gold - Pineapple, apple, mint. This juice was very sweet and tasted good to pretty much everyone.
- Juice 3: Green - Same as Juice 1. For some reason, I thought it tasted even better the 2nd time around.
- Juice 4: Yellow - Lemon, water, cayenne, agave. This was a spicy juice that I personally had no problems with but several coworkers did not enjoy this one at all. I bragged that I had spice in my blood and credited my inherent Indian-ness.
- Juice 5: Red - Apple, carrot, beet, lemon, ginger. Although I didn’t think it tasted that bad, this juice was my least favorite (I mean, one of them has to be, right?).
- Juice 6: White - Cashew, water, vanilla, cinnamon, agave. This was the final juice of the day. It was the thickest juice, so it took me the longest time to get this juice down. I’m not sure if I really like this flavor or not but it certainly was the most filling.
Also, per the advice of the website and numerous friends, I’ve been drinking a ton of water which helps to fill me up. This of course has the side effect of significantly increasing the frequency of my trips to the urinal but on the upside my pee was clear.
So far the cleanse seems to be going pretty well, but I have a feeling that the latter half of the 2nd day is going to be the worst part.
Thanks to everyone who provided advice and/or support, I really appreciate it.
Image via http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/03/katniss-everdeen-hollywood-heroines/all/1